Tuesday, October 12, 2010

NY Times for Sexual Diversity (Health) or D&SE?


Judge Orders U.S. Military To Stop 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'
via NY Times

This is our fear. ====>


“Lifting the ban on open service will allow our armed forces to recruit the best and brightest,” Mr. Berle said, “and not have their hands tied because of an individual’s sexual orientation.”

"Since 1993, some 14,000 gay men and lesbians have been discharged from the service when their sexual orientation became known, according to Mr. Nicholson’s group."


I have a rather strong stance on the LGBT world. Obviously, I am for all rights. I was raised Catholic but their attitudes toward the LGBT community hasn't stuck at all. At the same time, my church never mentioned that community. My churches weren't like the Catholic churches people think of now, being money hungry, gay bashing, and child molestation. I never knew any of that. Like I said in the beginning of the year, I was completely oblivious to the horrible things because I grew up where it just didn't exist. Racism, homophobia- all that. Tai went to the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" thing at the Union on Monday but I missed it because I had a lot of work to do and I had to catch a ride home.

The fact that so many people were discharged based on their sexual orientation is beyond me. You cannot help who you like. It doesn't matter whats in someones pants, it just depends on personality or an attraction to general aesthetics of someone's appearance. It's not about sex, it's about what you find beautiful in a person- inside and out. That sounds ridiculously cliché, but it's clichéd for a damn good reason. I think that even if you're lesbian, you can still find men attractive. Why not? It shouldn't matter what their sex is. If the personality is great and if you find them to be beautiful or handsome, it doesn't matter.

Additionally, what about asexuals? Yessssss, they do exist, it's real, nothing wrong with that. That would be 5% of the population (or something like that... I'm grabbing that from my memory of Drew telling me at my birthday party haha). Asexual people have no preference of either sex and are completely celibate/abstinent. Drew is a drag queen but he's not gay. Nor is he straight. He has no desire to be in a relationship, he just wants to keep good friends.

I understand the concern for sexual distraction but seriously... when they have all volunteered to put their lives on the line to protect YOU, you're going to question their intentions, motives, and dedication to their choice? "You" being everyone out there who thought it was such a great idea.

I could go on longer but it's bed time. Hopefully back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment