This is my first piece for Jewelry 3. It is a large neckpiece (larger than my usual). As a quick overview, it is the interpretation of jazz and its elements through a simpler form. The soft curves and forms are the fluidity of music, and the container on the back serves to hold extra weight which will amplify the feeling of bass on the chest. The blue suede is the color that can be interpreted dually, as a slow tranquil mood or light, upbeat mood.
So the second part is to crowdsource and pick up suggestions on how to improve the design through the form to strengthen the concept. For our re-design, we must utilize the injection molder. To injection-mold, we are making a mold out of a hardened epoxy...
...which is the grey mold in the middle. Then we are using Jan's new toy to melt plastic and make a plastic mold of it. The parameters are about 2" x 3".... the length has a little more leeway than 3" but it's not really suggested. The best part of this is that I can make it much more moldable and flexible, in a way...
Knowing that it is possible to be more flexible and formfitting, how could I change the form to improve? And what is the best way to resolve the "chain" in a more effective way?
There are so many things I would do differently. I am not happy with this piece at all. Though I spent ample time on it, I could have used more. I still like the forms, but the problems I had riveting are clear as day, so I would like to resolve the connections in another way. The connections being the ones between each piece, and the ones on the bulbous centerpiece holding the suede to it. The etching for the solder inlay should have been deeper so I wouldn't have to worry about sanding it off, and the overall craftsmanship is poor compared to my usual work. I would also like to resolve the "chain" better. I would like to add more wires or somehow have a chain that gives it structure around the neck and conveys fluidity at the same time.
I was actually getting to be very satisfied and sort of happy with my piece the day before it was due... then I went in to finish and it just fell apart which forced me to fix it all with brute force since it was only hours before it was due. So now, I'll have more time to resolve all the problems.
I plan to redo the piece because like Rachel said, I'm better than this!