Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Pendant Review.

Hey lovers.

I do this all the time. I plan and plan and get really excited about something and I'm never completely satisfied with my work haha. (Although this time for my last project I swear I think I'll actually really like it.)

Title: The Beginning to the End
Dimensions: 2.5" x 2" x 0.5"
Materials: Copper, Brass, Nickel Silver

Chasing/Repoussé
Etching (underneath)
Fumed Ammonia on copper centerpiece

Piercing
Riveting

You can't see it but in the first picture, you can slide the cover off and there's an etching that has the word "Adventure" in Mandarin Chinese.

Each part of the pendant symbolizes a stage of Cecilia's relationship with James. The pierced flower represents the beginning when he brought her flowers almost everyday, the chased and repousséd rings represent their current engagement, and the etching in the middle says "adventure" about their future in Chinese because they are moving to Taiwan in June 2010.

One thing that I would like to have improved would be the rivet. The day before finishing the project, the top rivet fell apart (and I suspect it was because I re-patinated after the rivet was in) so I had to redo it and rush.

As per review by Becca Haviland...

The images relate and each part of the pendant works in unity. Equal emphasis is put on each part. The patina is still not entirely consistent even after the re-patination. The etch could be cleaner. The cut of the flange is clean.



I got a jump start on my last project. Not so much a jump start as an advantage thanks to Elise who stayed in the studio this past Monday 2 and a half hours longer. I got SO much done that night that I was able to take a break for my lovely best friend's birthday!! :) I love you Meg Tully!

Project 3: Fabricating a Hollowform



First one is gonna be a pendant. It's based on the Art Deco movement, mirroring a door design. I'll have to find that picture again.

The second one is a ring, to mirror the Art Nouveau movement. I'm also making a pendant but I haven't started that yet- I'd like to completely finish out the ring and pendant before I do another pendant, just to be sure I have something to show hahah



Outside Projects

Not so much a project as a thing I threw together while I was waiting for my chain to pickle (from Project 2, the pendent).


I started cutting these pieces out over winter break and put it together a month or so into this semester. Just gotta polish.


I gotta figure out what to do about the chain/attachment.

I'm lamenting over the fact that I will not have a studio to work in ALL SUMMER. WHAT am I going to do.

I need to buy a torchhh

http://accentyourself.blogspot.com/2008/01/soldering-tools-supply-list.html
Maybe?

I also would kill to take Enameling or Metalsmithing (to learn casting) but sjskjfsjklfs 1, too much extra work that would not count for my major and 2, Enameling has not been offered in a long time.

Whaaaaaaat am I gonna do without the studio??

+Love+

2 comments: